Posted by: Alice | 2009-06-30

How long should headaches last after stopping the Pill?

Hi Dr C

Hoping to get pregnant, I' ve just come off the Pill after being on it for 15 years. I' m experiencing headaches which I presume are similar to the ones I got during my menstruation week. (I did change to a lighter Pill at that time which reduced the severity of the headaches but they never went away).

How long should I expect to get these headaches and at what point to I need to go to the doctor to check things out?

If you usually have headaches during your menstruation week, then this will probably continue. If they persist after your period, then see your doctor.

I had mine for about 2 weeks. Eventually went to the doc all he did was give me stronger painkillers

I would give it a few weeks at least, probably just your body readjusting to being off the pill..