Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-12

How long does propranolol take to work?

My psychiatrist put me on 10mg propranolol three times a day for tremor, anxiety and headaches. He also gave me 4mg diazepam at night for 10 days to get me over the worst of my anxiety. My current chronic medication is: 150mg Wellbutrin and 200mg Epilim in the mornings, and 200mg Seroquel with 200mg Epilim at night.

The anxiety started shortly after my doc switched me from citalopram 40mg to 150mg Wellbutrin in the mornings due to a severe depressive episode for which the citalopram didn' t work - but it obviously worked for my anxiety which the Wellbutrin doesn' t.

Currently I haven' t noticed an improvement to my anxiety levels - even though I' ve been using the diazepam and propranolol for 3 days. Any idea how long this therapy will take to kick in? I' m basically over the depressive episode, but I' m not feeling very well with stomach cramps (I' ve had numerous problems with irritable bowel syndrome when I got anxious in the past). Could I take Bevispas for the cramps? I' m having difficulty eating because it makes the cramps much worse. I' m scared of drug interactions too.

Thank you for your help.

Propranolol, one of the family of "beta-blockers" is often useful for physical symptoms of anxiety, including tremor. Valium is a sedaive tranquillizer, so should help you sleep as well as to be more calm by day. Wellbutrin is an effective antidepressant which can also gradually help to control, an anxiety disorder. Citalopram
What to add, if anything, to deal with the cramps, is best to discus, as are all these issues, with your prescibing doc, as this is not a really complex combination of meds.