Question
Posted by: Pally | 2010/01/22

Q.

How long does it take for endometriosis to grow back after laparoscopy

I was diagnosed in 1997 that have stage 2 endometriosis, but it has since escalated to stage 4. i have been through several laparoscopies, the last one done on 14 May 2009. We went through two failed IVFs after. We will be starting again with IVF around april 2010. I am currently using NUVIDA until we go back for IVF.

I would like to find out how long it takes for endometriosis before it can grow back again. I am 35yrs and have been TTCing for 7 years, i have one ovary functioning.

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Pally

The rate of re-growth of endometriosis varies from patient to patient and is dependent on the aggressive nature of the endometriosis in some patients. In some patients with low growth potential endometriosis it may take several years to shift from one stage to another whereas in other patients were the endometriosis is of a more aggressive nature this could happen within a few months. Unfortunately there are no specific tests that can be done to predict the aggressive nature of the endometriosis and the only predicative factor in fact is the repeat laparoscopy, which will in some way evaluate the rate of re-growth in a certain time interval. Therefore each patient has her control in this respect. Obviously as the stimulus factors change with time the rate of spread of the endometriosis will also alter and in some cases may burn itself out after several years after it has attained it’s limiting stage. Therefore a practitioner realises that he is dealing with an aggressive type of endometriosis his therapeutic approach will also be one of aggressive therapy so as to keep the condition in check. My advice would be to take all steps to suppress aggressively the endometriosis such as the use of Zoledex (GnRH analogue therapy) for a period of 4-6 months followed immediately thereafter by several IVF attempts to attain a pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
user comments

C.

Posted by: Pally | 2010/01/27

Thank you for the advice, it was really helpful. Where do i get the zoledex?

Reply to Pally
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/01/26

Dear Pally

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert

Want to comment?