Question
Posted by: Evashnee | 2011/03/14

How long does donor sperm live

Hi Doc,

I would just like to know how long does donor sperm live after IUI? My doctor has advised that I do a natural cycle this month and he has scheduled to do the IUI on day 14 of my cycle, my cycle is usually 28 to 30 days.
Is this correct? Will the sperm still be alive, if I happen to ovulate on day 15?
Your assistance is much apprecaited,
Many thanks for your help.

Dear Evashnee

There is no reason to believe that donor sperm are less viable and since donor sperm is activated in culture medium it should survive for at least 2-3 days and this should be sufficient to cover your ovulation window period. However if you are in doubt you may consider doing two IUI’s back to back and occasionally this yields a better result than the single insemination especially were ovulation monitoring has not been done.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/03/17

Dear Evashnee

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert