Posted by: lucy stab | 2012-12-04

how long do i haev to suffer?

hey Doc.
4 years ago after having my child, i used appetite suppressants to lose weight and i did loose, but after some few month after stoping them i gained the weight back and i think it hads tripled now, i eat portion size meals and have my cereals and my meals consist of vegetables all the tym i dont eat rice, bread and pap and red meat i eat sometimes i mostly eat chicken breast and baked fish. what am i doing wrong? please help!

Dear Lucy
I think you and the previous Reader may have similar problems possibly related to hormone imbalances (thyroid, female hormones and/or insulin resistance). Please have your condition assessed by a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If you should suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then it is essential that the registered dietitian assists you with an individual diet prescription, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).