Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2011/12/09

How long do I give him?

Hi CS,

My husband is suffering from business owner burnout. We have been working together in our business for 11 years and with the recession we had to make some drastic changes to keep the business afloat. My husband lost interest and motivation, in my opinion. He plays a computer game to keep his mind off the way the business has gone. This has been going on for 2 years now and I am getting fed up with being the one trying to keep this ship afloat. I feel he does not put in his share of helping out with the kids either.

I have gathered nothing material since I have married him, in fact I had more when I entered the marriage. I have 2 beautiful young children. If I leave him, I lose nothing material, just the children will become an issue as to who gets custody.

Do you think I have given him enough time to get his act together?

When a business one may have once really enjoyed becomes in this economic climate, a series of cises, one may lose the joy of it. Feeling a gailure, he may indeed choose to withdraw, maybe to try to protect himslf from a further sense of failure. But withdrawing and no longer trying is, of course, a failure in itself.
Time, on its own, is surely not enough for him to "get his act together" === if he could have done so entirely on his own, he would have done so long ago.
Talk with him, calmly, about how troubled you are in yourself and in worrying about him. Consider, seriously, seeing a marriage counsellor together.

1