Question
Posted by: KV | 2012-06-11

How long before Diflucan is effective?

Hi there. Im a 28 year old female who has suffered from recurrant candida infections (since about 13 years of age). GP put me on a 9 week course of diflucan - 1 tablet a week (i am on week 5). Unfortunately it seems like this stuff isnt working. I still have an itchy/burning sensation - its not terrible - its just there - like " threatening"  to flare up. Surely this medication should have had some effect by now?? I have tried to cut out sugar and refined carbs (white anything, all sugar - except raw honey, potatoes, caffeine etc) but cheated on the candida diet this weekend and last because of having to attend weddings... I just feel that I have cut out a lot of things - why isnt this diet and the meds working?? The only carbs i have are brown rice and popcorn. Is low fat cottage cheese allowed? Raw honey is supposed to be a safe sugar? Could it be those things? And why isnt the medicine working?

I am unsure about why the medication is not working. You will have to reconsult your doctor after completion of the medication. Factors like diabetes and other diseases, causing suppression of your immune system, will have to be excluded. Your sexual partner should also be treated for Candida, as he will reinfect you every time you have intercourse. Men usually do not display any symptoms of Candida.

Stick to current treatment regime. Have your partner/husband treated. Add Reuterina Femme supplementation to your diet.