Posted by: Mari | 2009-09-28

How long?

Good day! I am 24 and want to loose 30kg. I began on last Monday with a low fat(i use xenical) diet and exercise. For the whole week i only lost .6. I exercise on my elliptical for 20 min., ropejumping 100 times and sit-up 40 times. As i get more fit i will exercise for longer. Do you think this exercise will help me to loose weight?

Hi Mari

0.6kg is fine. You shouldn't really be aiming for more than this right now, rather focus on getting fitter and let the weight take care of itself. I'm not sold on the Xenical diet, I'm not 100% sure it's the way to go, but see what happens. I would prefer it if you saw a dietician and discussed a sensible eating plan, rather than a "diet".

But that rate of weight loss, say 1kg per week, is about the recommended rate, and so you just need to keep at it.

The thing about exercise is that as you get fitter, you will be able to train longer and also faster/harder. And both will help. So it's often difficult in the early stages to burn energy, but you need to focus on fitness, because that will come first, and then the weight loss will come later. So work at getting fitter, training for longer, and training a little harder, and then you'll see the results over time. But be patient!