Question
Posted by: Suzi | 2009-06-01

How long?

I am 22years old and have been using the contraceptive, Nordette, for about 6years now. If all else is normal and well, how long will it take for me to get pregnant? I stopped using the pill about 2months ago. And after how long should i consider seeing a fertility specialist if i have been trying and been unsuccessful in conceiving?

Dear Suzi

The definition of infertility is failure to conceive after 1 year of unprotected regular intercourse. Therefore it is at this point a bit too early to be overly concerned. However if there is no conception within the next 3 months then I would recommend a routine gynaecological evaluation. However to expedite your chance of conception I would recommend regular ovulation monitoring by means for the urine LH testing kits such as Clearplan for the next 2 to 3 cycles.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim