Question
Posted by: Me | 2011/05/13

How is this happening?

Hi There,

I would appreciate input from people who have been in this situation before and people with good hearts that believes in fair treatment of all human being not as black and white but as Gods children.

Our CFO is practicing racism, we have been experiencing it for a while now but it is really getting worse - because honestly we have not done anything.
She has company sponsored socials at her home &  does not invite any of the non- whites, I got to know about it via a temp who thought we ALL were invited &  I enquired from the other non whites who had no knowledge of it. but had seen the claims for drinks etc
Buys gifts and hands them out to the whites only also buys cake and asks all the whites to come to her office and have some (we are 12 people in the entire office)
Does not greet any of the non whites and goes out of her way to greet the white colleagues in our presence.
She decides on increases and bonuses which ours has been really bad since in all the years that I have with the company. We discuss it amongst ourselves and noticed that non whites have not been happy but the whites have been buying her gifts in appreciation for it - (the gifts are given to her the day after we receive our bonus and increase letters)
Please let us know how to address the problem diplomatically we cannot handle this anymore.
I have been with the co 9 years and have never experienced this racism and I don''t want her to contaminate other white people who thus far have never been racist to us.

If she throws a party in her own home AND PAYS FOR IT ENTIRELY BY HERSELF, that might still be a problem if it is involving selected staff and selected on an entirely racist basis ; but if she is having such affairs paid for by the company, that is even more objectionable and a sign of a truly badly run company - and the tax authorities might want to look into it if the company and its CFO claim "business" tax deductions for racist parties. The same appl;ies to drinks and gifts.
If there is an HR person ort dept, in this company ( or its parent company, if this is the case ) discuss it with them. She is probably breaking some laws, and is certainly behaving in a corrupt and unethical manner. And the bribery ( gifts after raises ) is also not allowed. Gather evidence as much as you and your similarly affected colleagues can. If there is any proper inquiry or investigation, the receipts and other evidence can probably be found, too.
Though as n.a.r. says, you can't demand to be invited to other peopl's parties, you can if the company, and maybe the national tax-payer is paying for the party, and the invitation list is racially determined.
The former HR lady could be a valuable witness.
Who on earth are supposed to be the managers here ? It sounds as thouch the CFO runs the company and makes all its decisions.
Maybe a union could help, maybe consult a labour lawyer for advice, and other such agencies.

12
Posted by: WITMAN | 2011/05/16

Well you know something else i work almost 20 years for this organisation and since 1998 i work only under black management and racism is just as bad, and they make sure that blacks get the better bonusses, they make sure that white people don''t go nowhere, and worst of all is that they cannot even work hard and they don''t never came to work on time, management also just greet blacks, all my knowledge and hard work means nothing, so AA, BEE is all that counts it''s always blacks that are on the the recieving side, bullshit it us white men and women who are forces out of your jobs and get the bad treatment.

Reply to WITMAN
Posted by: Realist | 2011/05/15

I know of at least 3 instances where ''reversed"  racism is practiced, so your case is not extraordinary. The problem is that we will always have racism simply because no matter where you go in the world, people like to associate with people with whom they are comfortable on a cultural basis. One has to get over onself and appreciate that fact. Don''t base your life on looking for a " racist"  issue. Get some self confidence and get on with your own life doing the things that make you happy. We live in a crazy country, have you noticed that where whites assault blacks its " racial"  but black on white violence is not ? How do you reconcile that ?? Its crazy !!

Reply to Realist

Posted by: Me | 2011/05/13

sorry that post was mean''t for Gogga not Me2!!!!

Reply to Me
Posted by: Me | 2011/05/13

I hate the fact that in 2011 we have to put up with racism like this. I was fortunate enough to not experience apartheid. I never would have dream''t that i would experience racism ever.

I hope that you get the courage to do something about it too- looking for another job should not be the solution - people like this will just practice on other poor people that join after us - the problem just stays with the company until the contaminaters leave.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Me | 2011/05/13

Thanks for this input guys -much appreciated.
I know the company has sponsored the braai because she has put in a claim which i processed for payment and she labelled it " co social" 
The greeting thing is - if you do not greet her first or if she sees you first she won''t bother greeting you, just walks by and goes "  Morning Doret how are you?"  whereas if i see her first I make it a point to greet her. hope this helps to understand the situation
HR depart - the Hr lady who was black left because she couldn''t work for her last year she said that she was too autocratic and mentioned racist incidents to us that pissed her off- cfo has decided she does not need an HR person at the moment &  all complaints should be filed via the office manager who excuse my tone doesn''t know her a*s from her face and in addition is the CFO''s doormat.
Myself and another lady has decided we need to join a union like NUM and hope that tehy can help us with this issue.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Not a racist | 2011/05/13

There is most definately something that can be done about it, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE of your facts first, and don''t go on " what you heard about"  Make absolutely sure that your company does not allow for this type of event to take place, and that it''s not just that you feel aggrieved at not being invited. I doubt that you (or anyne else) can demand to be invited to any function that the hold at their home, however if they are " socials"  as you say they are, I highly doubt that any Company would be happy to finance social events that have no bearing on the growth of the business. Most companies allow the senior management some " entertainment allowances"  but the expectation would be that this benefit is used to entertain external/potential customers, and not just for their own socialising. Don''t you have an HR department? Take your FACTS to the HR Manager and they will need to be addressed. If you are genuinely aggrieved at not being greeted, then why not set up a meeting with the CFO to establish why she is not greeting you, and tell them how it makes you feel when they don''t greet you. Just by the way - do you greet them and are you simply ignored? Is it a two-way street? You can also lodge a formal grievance which will need to be heard and dealt with, but it''s always best to try and deal with such incidents at the lowest possible leave.. If you work for a large organisation, you will most probably have an ethics line where these types of " transgressions"  can be reported annonymously.
Like I said - just make ABSOLUTELY SURE of your facts before you do anything, because you don''t want to end up with egg on your face. This is a senior person you are dealing with, and it is also your future with the company Passage gossip is a very dangerous thing, so I can''t emphasize enough how important it is to have FACTS before you act, but by all means, if you are sure of your facts, then follow the correct procedure that is laid down within your Company.

Reply to Not a racist
Posted by: Gogga | 2011/05/13

CFO means Chief Financial Officer.
I have the exact same situation at my company, in fact it felt like I was writing this post.
Only problem is, my management are all EE and the situation is reversed.....
I agree with " Me2" .... not much I can do about it ... the HR manager is also EE and people have tried.
Most non EEpeople here are seeking other employment, but being non EE, we are not getting other employment.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: me2 | 2011/05/13

This country is fully of racism, it happens everywhere my dear. the line between whites and black will always exist you just have a plan to deal with it

Reply to me2
Posted by: Not a racist | 2011/05/13

Please can you elaborate on your acronym CFO so that I can understand her position in your Company.

Reply to Not a racist
Posted by: Just Saying! | 2011/05/13

How can companies sponsor socials at her home when the competition act is alive and well, this sounds very suspect.
Take the situation up with HR , it sounds like she is breaking laws in the company( and is getting away with it because no one is saying anything) and I am white by the why,
Also giving gifts after a promotion is bribary and it is called conflict of interest.
Sweety sort out with HR and make sure you have facts to proof it, not hear say,office gossip is not going to help , you need proof because they will work with facts. Are you sure about the socials or is it office gossip, I know that sometimes people can blow up things, Get the facts and talk about your concerns regarding the practise.

Reply to Just Saying!
Posted by: Jo | 2011/05/13

I''m so sorry that this boss of yours is acting so foolishly - it''s shameful and can''t be doing the company good. Are you a branch office of a larger company, or is this the only office?

Reply to Jo