Question
Posted by: piggy | 2008/09/10

how important is carbs

How important is carbs cause if i eat bread, pasta etc i get spastic colon, now i cut all that but i still eat provitas and fruits. i also skip my supper. what should i do?

Dear Piggy
Carbs are important because they are our best source of energy and high-fibre carbs are rich sources of B vitamins and help to prevent constipation. Does your spastic colon also react if you eat high-fibre carbs? if not then you can still eat brown rice, crushed wheat, and wholewheat bread and wholewheat pasta. If you do react to all these foods then I would also suggest that you discuss this with a medical dr so that you can obtain treatment for your condition and eat a more balanced diet. I would also suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a diet that does not cause symptoms but is still fully balanced.