Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-01

How heavy should I lift?

I am about 5 foot 2 and weigh 51kg. I do not want to loose weight as such, just tone up. We have recently purchased a bench and weights and are following the ' truth about abs'  exercise plan. What weight should I be lifting to get the maximum benefit but without getting big? I started with 10kg for squats and 1.5 kg for all arm exercises. I don' t get stiff anymore so assume I should up the weights but am worried about going too far if that is possible.

Hi Anon

You should probably aim for a weight that you can lift maybe 25 to 30 times, maximum, and then do 3 sets of 15 with that weight. This is a relatively light weight, but you do more reps and that shifts the outcome from building muscle to toning, which you want. So you'll have to play around with the weight a little, but generally, aim for a medium weight and do higher reps. If you feel you're building too much, then drop it down a little.