Question
Posted by: mellisa | 2010/02/15

How healthy are eggs?

I have recently started to eat healthily and take 2 boiled eggs and fresh fruit to work each day. Is this too many eggs in a week? I do find the eggs to be quite an economical option.

Dear Mellisa
Eggs are excellent foods being rich in high quality protein, B vitamins, some beta-carotene and iron. However, they do have a high cholesterol content. According to the Heart Foundation of SA, adult South Africans are advised not to eat more than 4 eggs per week. You are going to be eating between 10 and 14 eggs per week, which is nearly treble the recommended egg intake. One boiled egg of 50 g contains 210 mg of cholesterol which represents 70% of the suggested cholesterol intake per day for adults (namely not more than 300 mg per day). Because you will probably also be ingesting cholesterol at your evening meal (meat, etc), I would rather recommend that you find other low-fat, low-cholesterol foods to take along to work(for example fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt contain only 4 mg of cholesterol per 100 g or 100 ml; or legumes like canned or cooked dry beans or lentils or soya which are rich in plant protein and contain no cholesterol at all) and stick to only 4 eggs per week.

1

Dear Mellisa