Question
Posted by: Mantwa! | 2010-03-16

How good/bad are Hypnosis sessions

I have just realised that I have a lot on my mind and at times think its got something to do with my past, but I just cant put my finger on it. ALL I need is to find out what happened, if there is anything that had ever happened in my life that hinders me moving on in life/ losing weight etc. But I am not too sure if this is a good idea? By the way, I have seen a Psychologist before... and it was helpful... but I would like to dig deeper?

HYpnosis is useles for the purpose you describe ( though obviously the folks who sell hypnosis will tell uyou it's marvellous. There is not a shred of good evidence that it is useful in this situation. Proper modern counselling like CBT is proved to be effective, and not to take long, and to have lasting benefits. It is a myth, carefully encouraged by "hypnotherapists" and others that all life problems are caused by dark hidden events way back in one's past which they claim they can help you to "recover". All nonsense, and can be harmful. If you are not now aware of some serious event in your past, there most probably was never such an event, and hypnosis can "recover" sincere memories of stuff that never ever happened.

2

Posted by: Liza | 2010-03-16

Hypnosis works just as well as a placebo - if you think it''s going to work, it probably will. I''m a sceptic - why rake over things that are in the past that I''ve forgotten? If I''ve forgotten about it - why would it cause problems?

You might however be in the habit of negative thinking. CBT(Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) is much more successful in changing negative though patterns to positive ones by helping you realize WHEN your thoughts are negative.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza