Posted by: Anna | 2008-12-01

How Fast

Dear doc.i have taken up jogging and loving it.all i want know is what is a average to good speed and time to jog after about 10 weeks of relative(about 3 times a week)training,and i weigh 60kg and i am 21 years old and 1.69 tall.and how do i get better?

Hi Anna

Difficult to be exact, of course. But if you look at the local races and events ni this country, then you'll find that the "halfway" point in most events for a 10km race is about 58 to 60 minutes, which means that "average" is around 60 minutes for 10km. So that might be the first target to set yourself. I'm not sure what you're doing right now, but if you're able to run at anything around 6 minutes 30 seconds per kilometer, that's a decent jogging pace. Faster than that, obviously fine, but don't set "speed limits" for yourself, they don't pay, either way.

As for getting better, the best thing to do is first reach a distance that you're comfortable running. I have no idea what your'e doing now so it's very difficult to give specific advice. But find that distance, and then build up to it. Once there, then you focus on running it faster. First distance, then speed. And just make small increases each time, add a few hundred meters on every second or third day, for example.