Question
Posted by: Sipho | 2011/11/16

how does Roaccutane actually work?

hi Pharmy

Could you explain why Roaccutane is said to be a cure for acne as opposed to an ongoing treatment for it? I understand it reduces sebum/oil production but when one stops taking the drug, how is it the acne (in most cases) does not return? Surely once the drug is out of the system, the body just starts over-producing sebum and p.acnes bacteria again. What is the permanent change Roaccutane brings about i.e. why is the body unable to create acne the way it used to?

Why isn''t this ''permanence'' the same for other medicines? For my long-term severe acne and excessive hirsutism, I am on Androcur and sadly am told all the terminal hair will return after I stop taking it, as my testosterone levels will inevitably soar again. But as regards the Roaccutane, I am told I can expect an actual cure. Why is this not the same for Androcur, which also works to ''reduce'' something the way Roaccutane does? This must mean Roaccutane permanently changes something, what is that thing? Why doesn''t Androcur permanently reduce excess androgens in a woman, when Roaccutane can permanently reduce excess sebum?

Expert ImagePharmacist

ROACCUTANE is NOT a cure (nor does it claim to be)for acne and patients often require a 2nd or even 3rd course. It is simply one of the more effective treatment options and is often used for more severe cases.
At the end of a course of Roaccutane your acne should have cleared up significantly. Most patients notice their skin condition continues to improve even after Roaccutane treatment is finished.

Background:
ROACCUTANE contains the active ingredient isotretinoin and is used to treat
acne. It belongs to a group of medicines called retinoids, which are similar to vitamin A - Retinoids work by reducing the amount of the oily substance (i.e.
sebum) made by glands in your skin, reducing bacteria, reducing inflammation and opening clogged pores.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/11/28

Background:

Reply to pharmacist