Posted by: In A Daze | 2008-11-13

How does it feel when Feeling your baby?

I am newly pregnant and have not seen a Gynea yet and have a few questions. (HAve an appointment for next week) but are extremely curious!

What sensation do you feel when you first feel the fetus?
And in what region? And at how many weeks can you expect to feel the baby?

Are there any do' s and don' ts on food to eat etc.
I do not smoke and are avoiding any alcohol - including mouth wash.

I hope that FTM's food list helps.
Fetal movements are felt from 18 - 22 weeks. Initially they feel like a butterfly fluttering. Later they are more definite 'kicks'.

Posted by: In A Daze | 2008-11-14

Need all the advise I can get!

Reply to In A Daze
Posted by: FTM | 2008-11-14

Hi there,

Unfortunately I cannot tell you how it feels as I am a first time mom, 14w1d, I have read that you can start feeling fluttering around 17 weeks... waiting patiently...  o)

As for the Food etc... below is a list we found on the net... hope it helps...  o)

What not to eat when you are pregnant:

•  Raw Meats and Seafood including sushi - all uncooked and rare meats and seafood should be avoided due to high risk of listeria and salmonella poisoning.
•  Deli meats including hot dogs - these deli meats might be contaminated with listeria bacteria which may result in miscarriage or even a stillbirth. It' s safe to eat deli meats if you reheat them until steaming hot.
•  Refrigerated smoked seafood - for the same reason of listeria contamination. It is safe if they are contained in cooked dishes. Canned and shelf-stable versions are safe to eat.
•  Raw eggs - raw eggs may contain salmonella. Some Caesar salad dressings, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream and custards as well as Hollandaise sauces may be made with raw eggs. It is best to check with your server in a restaurant  if in doubt, it is best to avoid it. In addition, unpasteurized eggnog should be avoided.
•  Fish high in mercury - avoid high-mercury fish such as Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel and Tilefish. Also limit fish intake to no more than 2 servings per week. For more info - read Is it Safe to eat Fish during Pregnancy?

•  Soft cheese - avoid the following soft cheeses: Feta, Brie, and Camembert cheeses, blue-veined cheeses, queso blanco, queso fresco and Panela. They are safe to eat if they are labelled pasteurized.
•  Refrigerated pâ tes or meat spreads - for the same reason of listeria contamination. It is safe to eat the canned or shelf-stable versions.
•  Liver - liver is a rich source of iron. However it contains a high level of Vitamin A. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby.

•  Unpasteurized milk and juices
•  Alcohol - many documented fetal abnormalities and birth defects have been associated with alcohol use during pregnancy.

Enjoy a healthy pregnancy!

Reply to FTM