Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/04/17

How do you make the decision to give meds

My daughter is almost 10. She is very intelligent and gets excellent results in school. She does however have problems with planning, organisation and remembering things like books to be brought home from school. This causes anxiety which manifests as digestive problems and sleep disruption during term time. The psychologist she has been seeing feels that she might be ADD and that a low dose of Concerta will help her focus and alleviate the anxiety. Would the end justify the means in this case?

I worry that nowadays people, including some psychologogists, choose to assume ADD / ADHD, and suggest medication, before starting more simple psychological help. Many of us have, at various ages, some difficulties in planning, organization, and memory, which can be greatly helped by simple psych intervention in learning to organize our activities and thoughts. And a good child psych can also help her cope better with anxiety, also without drugs.
I would always prefer to try what can be achieved without drugs, first.

1