Question
Posted by: Aidan | 2008/08/21

How do you do a single-leg squat??

Dear doc,

I just want to know how to perform a single leg squat with dumbells. I know you put your one leg on a chair, then squat down with one leg, but How high must the chair/box be?? and must your knee touch the ground??

thank you for your help, you guys at health24 really help us alot

Aidan

Hi Aidan

It's obviously a lot more difficult because of the load on the leg, and that load dictates, to a large extent, how "deep" you can go down. The best setup is to have the leg behind up on a chair, at a comfortable height, which is about 30cm up, but the leg is extended out behind you - imagine a lunge type position, if you will.

Then as for how low, your knee can't possibly touch the ground - I doin't think that's even possible. But you must go down as far as you can before stability is lost. You'll feel that you start to wobble a little at about halfway to a fully bent knee, and that's kind of the cut-off point. It varies, of course, but it's important that you regard this is a "half-squat" and not a full one, because otherwise you can easily damage the knee.

Hope that helps a little