Posted by: Worried | 2009-04-09

How do you commit someone?

Dear CS

I need some advice. I need to find out what one needs to do to get someone committed?

In a nutshell - I think this person has a Paranoid personality disorder, they have been married for 25 years and are now running away with a paedophilic conman that they met on the Internet 3 months ago. Their grip on reality is seriously compromised and they are really about to throw away everything.

What steps would need to be taken? Do you think I would be taken seriously?

The criteria fo deciin whether someone should be committed inlcude primarily whether they are ill, and a danger to themselves and/or others, and to some extent whethe they are treatable. A personality disorder is not usually a reason for considering this. Being extremely stupid is regrettable, but not grounds for commitment. Aduolts have the right to be stupid. COmmittment needs several understandably complex procedures ( it would be awful if it were far too easy to achieve ) --- the opinion of more than one doctor is needed, and it is easier with the approval of family members. If as I understand it you are not related to this position and not in yourself directly affected by their actions, and perhaps don't know their family or their doctor, it would be very difficult for you to intervene. If there is criminal acivity involved, such as pedophilia, you should be able to interest the police in looking into that

Posted by: goodadvice | 2009-04-09

slip them 500ml lsd trip....then drive them to the local nuthouse

(that normally works)

Reply to goodadvice