How do we know

can one assume that things like green tea and even rooibos have been grown using pesiticides, i have never seen organically advertised teas so i guess they all have some pesticides on them or will that be effectively removed? Which is the best brand of omega 3 that has the least amoung of mercury and other toxins etc? Lastly if i have gluten and wheat intolerance but am trying to follow the low Gi way of eating - which would be the best substitute for seed loaf bread? if i make my own which is the best flour to use or where can i buy alternative wheat/gluten bread, does anyone know? i live in Midrand and cant live without bread but am higly intolerant - what to substitute as i like a sandwich now and then?

Dear Reader
You have raised a very valid point: I have also not seen any green tea or rooibos tea products labelled as "organic", so we don't know for sure if they contain pesticides or not. I suspect that rooibos tea is probably not grown with pesticides as it grow 'wild' in the Cape. You could contact the Rooibos Tea Council - visit their Website at:
The Salmon oil capsules that you can purchase at your local chemist should be free of mercury and other contaminants. As I just mentioned in the previous posting, anyone who is allergic to gluten must avoid wheat, rye, oats and oat bran, barley, spelt, kamut, and titricale. The problem with baking bread without anyone of these grains is that the gluten component makes the bread "rise". Other grains which you can include in your low-GI diet such as unsifted maize and sorghum will not rise, so you may be able to bake "flat breads" with these grains. I have seen small loaves of "gluten-free" bread in local Spar supermarkets, so see if you can find some in Midrand. To make such a meal low-GI you can combine the gluten-free bread with fat-free cottage cheese or hummus or other legumes which will effectively lower the GI of the meal.