Question
Posted by: Anri | 2012/05/22

how do parents decide?

Prof Simpson

How do a parent decide to keep a child back one year. Not to move to the next grade?
Will this do more harm than good?

Obviously it varies somewhat according to age and stage of schooling. Usually there's frankly not much harm done one way or the other.
Idenfity more clearly what problems, if any, there are, which you think need to be solved ; and whether keeping the child back a year has any realistic chance of solving that problem, or whether others aids to finding solutions would be better.
If there are learning problems or difficulties, an educational or child psychologist would be best able to assess him and advise, not a play therapist. ( they can be helpful if recommended by someone better wualified to do a broader assessment ).
Educational / intellectual readiness versus emotional / social readiness needs to be considered.

5
Posted by: Smack | 2012/05/23

I wash held back and it was the best decision ever!!!!

Reply to Smack
Posted by: Cosmic | 2012/05/23

My son was 4 going on 5 but academically very advanced when he was in Gr R. His pre-school advised that he move to Gr 1 the next year, but I knew that my son was emotionally not ready, so I kept him in Gr R for another year. He is now in Gr 10 and an A student since Gr 1. I really do not regret holding him back, as our children are faced with so much pressure that they have to be emotionally able to cope as well. Seeing a therapist/psychologist cant hurt, but as parents, we know our kids best.

Reply to Cosmic
Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/23

Have him assessed by an educational psychologist.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Old Timer | 2012/05/23

Best is to get professional opinion. I took my boy to a play therapist in Pretoria. Everybody said I should hold him back one here, but this therapist start working with him and within weeks he had a COMPLETE turn around. The only problem he had was self confidance! So don''t make this decision without help. I will recommend a qualified play therapist.

Reply to Old Timer