Question
Posted by: Nickola | 2012-01-31

How do I work out when I ovulate if I have an irregular period?

My husband and I are desperate for another baby (my LG is 2) - but I have a slightly irregular period (between 32 and 35 days). How do I work out when I''m ovulating if my cycle days aren''t regular? Any advice is most appriciated!

Dear Nickola

The cycle length between 32 -35 days implies that you may have ovulatory dysfunction and therefore may not in fact be ovulating at times. The urine LH detection kits may not be tremendously valuable and it would be more prudent to do ultrasound follicle tracking or ultrasound scanning of the ovaries on a regular basis to ascertain the development of your eggs and whether you are ovulating or not. However should you persist and want to do home ovulation testing you would have to start ovulation testing from day 10 up to day 20 and this should be repeated in at least 3 cycles. I advise you to use the sensitive urine LH testing kits which are available over the counter such as Ovuplan or Clearplan.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Nickola | 2012-02-15

Thanks for the advice! We fell pregnant the first time we tried with our little girl (by charting my cycle), and my period has always been between 32 and 35 days long. I''ve never thougth of it as a problem - does it always indicate an ovulatory dysfunction? The first time we had 8 " fertile days" , because I couldn''t be sure when I was ovulating.

Reply to Nickola
Posted by: Serina | 2012-02-03

hi i am on this very moment busy with my period tommorow i will be done can you please work out for me when will i be able to fall pregnant

Reply to Serina