Question
Posted by: VanessaS | 2012/06/04

How do I work out how far along I am?

Hi all,

I went to the doctor on the 29th of May. She said I am 4 weeks pregnant. I now googled it and it says the fetal age is 4 weeks but I am 6 weeks pregnant...please could someone help in clarifying this for me? My first day of my last period was 17.04.2012.

Would really appriciate it!

Pregnancy is counted from the last period so you are 7 weeks and 2 days pregnant unless your period dates are incorrect.

Best wishes.

3

Best wishes.

Posted by: Nini | 2012/06/05

Just to clarify, you conceived 5 weeks ago, which makes the foetus 5 weeks old. But in terms of pregnancy calculations, you are 7 weeks pregnant, because most calculations will work on your last menstrual date. The reason for this is because it is virtually impossible to detect exactly when conception took place, as every woman''s cycle is different, and ovulation happens at different times for every woman. So therefore, your pregnancy length is calculated from the first day of your last period. This is a more accurate method to detect your progress as this time frame applies to majority of women''s cycles.

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Nini | 2012/06/05

If your last period started on 17.04.2012 then accoridng to my calculations you are 7 weeks pregnant today. Yes the actual foetus may only be 5 weeks old, but in terms of calculating your progress in your pregnancy, you are now 7 weeks along.

Reply to Nini