Posted by: Aubrie | 2009-03-24

How do i tell my parents

Recently cybershrink said i had like anxity disorders and stuff.... I really wanna get help because i dont wanna be the mental kid (im only in high school) to get help i need to tell my parents but idk how to ?!?!?! HELP, also i would like to talk to otha high schoolers that deal with the same issues HELP?!?!?! Please along with my post from yesterday i have begun developing a VERY low self esteem

Don't make more of a big deal out of it than it has to be. And they probably already worry that you might not be feeling well. Just calmly tell them how bad you feel, and that you want them to help you see someone who can help you. With ANY disorder or probllem, the earlier it is treated, the better the results. More than many other unhappy teens ( and there are very many of them, believe me ) you have the good sense to recognize that things should be better than this, and to look for help. Congratulations on that !
Now, I don't know your parents. Some are well in tune with and easily understand psychologgical problems, and respect them. Some tend to be thicker, and to think that anything less than a broken leg is "all in your mind" and you should just change your mind about it and all will be well. As Maria says, they may already be woried about you, and wondering how to talk with you about it. Print out your two posts, and give these to them, maybe along with these responses, and they should be pleased to help you see a psychiatrist, psychologist or at least a GP in the first place, for an assessment and further advice.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-24

Hey Aubrie. How I wish my depression was diagnosed and treated during my high school years rather than only when I was 30. Life good have been so much better than it was at times. Telling your folks will be hard. People don' t always understand that having mental problems is no different from having purely physical problems and in fact is often at least partially caused by chemical imbalances in your body. But your parents may surprise you. Perhaps they' ve noticed that you have problems and they are wondering how to raise it with you. Why don' t you print your previous post and this one and just give it to them to read?

Good luck!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: mental kid | 2009-03-24

just tell them the truth

Reply to mental kid