Posted by: Adri | 2009-07-13

How do I stop this??

I' ve been under a lot of pressure from work the past three months or so and I feel like I am going to explode! My colleagues always comment on how calm I always am, but they have no idea... These days I freak out about even the smallest of things- I get extremely upset, so much so that I get these stabbing headaches and get short of breath. Twice in the last week, I' ve struggled to breath and I' ve been waking up every night after sleeping for two hours at most, without being able to sleep again.

I feel like I' m falling apart and I don' t know how to stop it or deal with it. When I get home in the afternoon, I burst into tears and can' t stop myself. I NEVER cried over anything before. I' ve always been in control of everything- but now it feels like I' m on a runaway train and I don' t know how to stop!

OK, so you maintain calm on the outside, covering the inner turmoil. Its hardly surprising that you fel chronic anxiety, irritability, slep problems and dyspnoea ( uncomfortable breathing ). Maybe a fast pulse, and an awareness of your heart-beat too, maybe some trembling. You're trying, heroically but unwisely, to control reactions to a situation which is excessive, and where the situation itself needs to be controlled. See a shrink or at least a doc, and you may need some time off work to relax and wind down ( and let them try putting the excessive pressure on someone else for a change ) ; you may need to discuss with HR the need for the job to be reised so as not to place such intolerable pressures on you. And explore the availability of CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) as a way to learn to handle stress and overload better, to control your reactions and get calmer, and so on.
Do not allow this situaton to continue without kmodification, as this is eally bad for your health, and in any properly run company should not be allowed to occur

Posted by: me too | 2009-07-14

I have had that problem but mine was relationship...and i couldnt sleep or eat for 2weeks and had a pain in my heart and went to the doctor and she gave me muscle relaxing pills and some pills to help me sleep..and some anti depressant which i drank for 2 days and threw them into the dustbin...and said i had a panic attack...i drank them for 3 days and i was fine... the pills did help me thing that helped me was...sharing my problems with my friends....and reading some motivational verses on the net...and learning to accept and take the responsibility of what is happening to you...rather than to blame people. i am so fine now

Reply to me too
Posted by: 007Boer | 2009-07-14

Can you name some of the problems you are experiencing at work? Maybe we can find a solution to one or two of them.

Reply to 007Boer