Question
Posted by: Debs | 2009-04-15

How do I split my workout?

I am a 31 yr old female and need to lose about 16kgs. I am currently only doing cardio, but am not sure if (at this stage of attempted weightloss) I should be doing weights too? I have 4 sessions of gym: I love spinning and usually do 35min of spinning each day, with cardio before...should I keep on with this, or do weights too? If i must do weights, how often &  how long? Thanks

Hi Debs

Not a necessity, unless you feel you want to add it. The addition of some weight training certainly has a place, but a lot of people do just fine without it and others swear by it. So part of it is preference, part of it is doing what you enjoy, rather than forcing yourself to train on something you don't enjoy. So given the choice between spinning which you love to do and weight training which you MIGHT not enjoy, I'd rather you did the spinning because that's more likely to be a long term "investment" for you.

If you do decide to try weights, which is not a bad idea, as I've said, then you must find a way to add it without compromising your other training. So for example, if you're doing the spinning session, you might be able to get 15 minutes of weight training in before, two days a week. In those 15 minutes, you could break it up into lower body and upper body (once a week each) and then just find 3 or 4 exercise for each. So for upper body, you might do some bicep curls, some triceps, lat pull downs and pectorals (ask a trainer to show you these). For lower body, squats, lunges, hamstring curls and calf raises. And then finally, you might end both with some situps. THat would be a proetty complete package, without taking away from the cardio.

However, as I've said this is not prescriptive, but an option. First go for what you enjoy and what you know to be working, and change it only if you really feel the need to.

1
Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-15

It might be a good idea to add weights to some of your sessions as this helps burning fat and toning up.

Reply to Tom