Question

How do i respond to this?

Hi there,

Cybershrink or anyone else please help -
I recently received a voucher for R500.00 to spend as i please after i had purchased the underarm treatment from the same spa . I opted for the upper lip laser treatment because it was equivalent to the voucher. However when i went in i was told that there is no such thing and i should pay for it. I opted to not go ahead with it and check to see if i misinterepreted the whole thing. The lady promptly told me she would do it gladly but i have to pay next time! Anyway i check my email and remembered confirming it with the same person below before i made the appointment. I sent them the email which clearly stated that i could use the voucher for the treatment as well as qualifying for it because i had in fact taken up the underarm treatement!

this was the response from the same dude that confirmed with me EARLIER the month that i could use my voucher for the same thing what they demanded me to pay for? i emailed the backup as well as the voucher and this was his response? In addition to this i have refered 5 other clients for the underarm treatments at R5000 each since last year?

Hi xxxxxx

I read your email with interest. I am assuming that when you came to our clinic you noticed that we are a business that relies on clients paying us, so that we may remain in business. As such we offer all 1st time clients the opportunity to have a free treatment, which is stated on our original email, so that they may assess the level of service and efficacy of our product. As far as I am aware there is no other clinic in South Africa that offers this no obligation try before you buy concept.

Following on from this we unfortunately are not funded by the United Nations or some other such charitable organisation who may be interested in ridding the world of terrible social ills such as starvation, poverty and unwanted body hair. As such we rely, as stated, on customers giving us donations/payment in the form of money for treatments. The donation/payment per treatment we list on our site under the pricing section.

You may also have noticed when you highlighted the 10 year price, that Ladies Face must be done in conjunction with underarm or bikini. I have highlighted this in green for you in case you missed it. So as you can imagine our incentive to give away a 10 year upper lip contract to you without the relevant donation/payment for an underarm or bikini deal is somewhat limited, because if we do that we are unlikely to be around for 10 years, as we will not be generating any revenue! Not to mention that the therapist that advised you politely that you must pay would also not be there as she, like all of us, needs to earn a salary!

I hope this mail helps you understand our position as a business and we look forward to seeing you in the future as a client that will pay for the product and service that we offer!

xxxx

Vounchers often seem dodgy, and I wonder whether the new Consumer Protection Act finally due to come into effect after too many unnecessary delays, might help ? You may feel shy to insist on reading through all its small print, but one should not assume they will be of any value unless that small print confirms whatever it is you are hoping for.
If their e-mails confirmed how you could use it, and they later changed their minds, that sounds unfair.
Their letter sounds cheeky and evasive. It doesn't matter what any other such center does, what matters is what they offered, and what they promised. Talking about "donations" in regard to paying for their services sounds dodgy, too.
Check on what office is supposed to be administering the CPA, and whether in their advertising etc this bunch claim to belong to any "professional" organization or trade group, to whom you could complain. And look up Hellopeter, a useful SA complaints site.
As a reader mentioned, check and be absolutely clear what their e-mails and original voucher and other ads said.

13
Posted by: qwerty | 2011/02/22

It would appear that the voucher has already expired, and it does sound like a once-off thing.
HOWEVER.
I have never in my life heard of a " professional"  responding to a customer in such a rude way!

I would formulate a response such as below. Try and get some other email addresses related to the spa (perhaps a boss? or is he the owner? if not get the owner''s email address) and cc them on the email. If this is a franchise, I would get head office in on the email. Be sure to reply to his original email so that everyone can read his original mail. (you should be able to find the extra addresses on the website)

Dear Mr X

If I had known I would be persecuted for attempting to redeem the voucher issued to me by your company, I would never have tried. This has been an utterly humiliating and unpleasant experience. Rest assured that I won''t be back - you have lost my business for good.

If there had been a simple misunderstanding around the allowed use of the voucher, this could have been cleared up in a professional manner. Your email was nothing short of rude and unprofessional, not to mention snide and condescending. I can''t imagine a business that treats its customers this way surviving in this economy for very long.

-Your Name

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: Ruby | 2011/02/21

Go to hellopeter (dot) com and report him there!

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/21

He can''t do anything if you let other people know what your opinions are. e.g. Don''t tell people that this place don''t keep their promises. Rather tell them just about what happened to you. Don''t generalize, be specific. If this place wants to sue you for slander, they first have to prove that you''re lying. So just tell the truth as it pertains to you and they can''t do anything...

Reply to Liza

Lets say I wanted to do that send an email to everyone i know as well as facebook would there be any legal implications for him to do anything to me?

Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/21

Sounds like the voucher is only valid for one use i.e. not a contract which I would guess is for multiple sessions?

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Kelly | 2011/02/21

Wow this A hole has a business..
On the one hand it is funny! but that''s only if it was some kind of joke.Mostly it is the most disgusting reply to a customer I have ever read.
Hope you take this further and never ever go there again.
Post these email around with the salons name so that everyone can see how customers are treated and they won''t even be around for another 10 months let alone 10 years. Post it on facebook too and every where else so that everyone can have a look.
Its disgusting! Even if there was a misunderstanding somewhere how can they speak to a client like that!

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: anon | 2011/02/21

Thanks guys this is the original email from the prik start from the bottom!

Hi There,
When I came through for my session today 18/02/11 -I was told I need to pay for the upper lip session by the therapist.

Please see my voucher and it is not per session only - it is in fact a 10 year contract price as per your website (which I had check in November to see which treatment I could use the voucher against).

Many Thanks
From: Sent: 03 November 2010 09:50 AM

To: xxxx
Subject: RE: Laser Gift Voucher Worth R500

Sure

From: xxxx
Sent: 03 November 2010 09:15 AM
To: xxxx
Importance: High >Thank you.
Would I be able to use this for the laser upper lip treatment?

|Tel:+xxxxxx
|EMAIL:xxxxx

From: xxxxx<br>Sent: 02 November 2010 18:00 PM
To: xxxxxxx<br>Subject: Laser Gift Voucher Worth R500

Congratulations on receiving this gift voucher for a free Laser treatment to the value of R500.
Please present the voucher code to our receptionist.

Voucher code: 12223
Valid Until 12 November 2010
14th Floor,
Tel: xxxxxx
Please go online to xxxx and make a booking

Reply to anon
Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/21

Their reply is exceedingly offensive and if it were me, I''d NEVER go there again. First start with a complaint on HelloPeter. If they then get even more abusive (which sounds likely) ensure that the other people you''ve sent there know how they treat their customers. If you let your friends know via Facebook, and your friends let all THEIR friends know - it goes viral and this place will lose customers.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: ABC | 2011/02/21

Blame and Shame!

Reply to ABC
Posted by: Hairy | 2011/02/21

I thought their reply was quite funny. But not as funny as someone spending R5000 on their armpits!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Hairy
Posted by: Anne | 2011/02/21

If this is how they treat their customers, then they arent going to be around for two years, never mind ten

Reply to Anne
Posted by: qwerty | 2011/02/21

Please post the original email they sent you as well..? If the original email did in fact state that you can use the voucher for whatever, then this email is beyond rude!!

Reply to qwerty