Question
Posted by: Marzanne Wilken | 2011-01-09

How do I motivate my partner to loose weight?

Can you give me tips on how to motivate my partner to stick with eating healthy as well as exercising and actually get him to be excited about it? He has expressed that he would like to loose weight and I believe that the best change in behavior is a result from making the choice for yourself. In other words he has to do it for himself and not for me or anyone else. That being said I want to help him and maybe there are a few pointers you can give me to assist him to change his eating patterns ens without it becoming an issue for him / for us.

Thank you!
Looking forward to getting some pointers from you.

Dear Marzanne
You are quite correct that the first step towards changing a person's eating habits and lifestyle is for that person to take a decision to do so. Thus your partner has already got over the first hurdle. It is important not to put too much pressure on him at this stage until he has started to lose weight and has obtained some positive results, otherwise you could counteract all the good work. If you do the shopping and/or cooking you should be able to influence his eating patterns. You can use one of the slimming diets as an example for your mutual eating plans. Try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). It will also help for him to increase his energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, joining a gym or Walk for Life). Here you can give him plenty of moral support and possibly join him in the activity he selects to do on a regular basis.
Positive reinforcement is one of the most powerful aids to helping anyone change habits, so give him encouragement whenever he does something positive and esp if he starts to lose weight.
Holding thumbs that all goes well.

2
Posted by: Zelda | 2011-01-10

If you are the Chef in the house. Cook healthy meals that the whole family can enjoy. Excercise with him. Even if it is only a brisk walk around the block. Don''t keep any unhealthy snacks in the house.

Reply to Zelda
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-10

Dear Marzanne
Holding thumbs that all goes well.