Posted by: Nellie | 2012-11-07

How do I lower my cholesterol

I recently did blood tests and my cholesterol was 4.8 at fasting state. My doctor has said that I need to make lifestyle changes. What is the best way or eating plan to lower my cholesterol. I recently started exercise regularly (spinning x2 a week and 4km brisk walk on saterdays). I am 34 yrs and over-weight.

Dear Nellie
It is good that you are exercising regularly and if you can lose weight then your cholesterol should also start decreasing. If your family suffers from high cholesterol, then you would need to lower your intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower your cholesterol levels basically you will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 3g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. You can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Keep up the good work with your exercise.

Posted by: Faizalnak | 2012-11-16

That is a great question!The short anewsr is because the government makes them . Seriously! The nutrition labels are designed by the FDA, and the food manufacturers have to comply. Pretty stupid, yes, but it is what it is!

Reply to Faizalnak