Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2012/02/23

How do I know what a portion is?

Dear Diet doc

Can you help me how to establish a portion size for lasagne. I made home made lasagne last night. I used lean beef mince, mushrooms, onion, tomato paste, 7 lasagne sheets, for the white sauce I used fat free milk and some cheese on top.

How much would be a portion and am I correct to say that is is d carbs, protein and fat aThank yi

Dear BMJ
A portion of lasagne would probably equal a square of about 8 cm x 8 cm. I usually use a large rectangular Pyrex container and cut the lasagna in half lengthways and then remove the squares. Basically you are trying to obtain a serving that would fit into half a cup or 125 ml which weighs about 120 g according to the SA Food Quantities Manual. Once you have established the size of your squares, you can weigh one to check that it weighs 120g. Most foods are a combination of carbs, proteins and fat as is the lasagna.
Your lasagna sounds delicious.
Enjoy

1

Dear BMJ
Your lasagna sounds delicious.
Enjoy