Question
Posted by: Sean | 2012/07/03

How do I know if I am bipolar?

I think I might be bipolar, but like most guys, do not want to subject myself to a barrage of tests. It''s just that I feel quite embarrased already that I might have a problem.

I am generally very positive, but I get depressed and that feeling lasts for months at a time. Never suicidal kind of depressed, but no interest in anything, and just feeling tired and run down, no motivation whatsover.

Then suddenly, like now, I am on top of the world. This feeling will also last for about two to three months, then, I can almost predict it, in October I will be feeling down again.

I did an online test and it says I might be bipolar. What are the classic symptoms that I need to watch out for?
And how do I talk to my doctor about this? I am generally healthy and do not want to seem like I am a hypochondriac.

There is no "battage of tests" needed to make ANY psychiatric diagnosis, only a careful and skillful assessment by taking with you and reviewing your symptoms and problems. Online tests at best suggest a possibility, and its reasonable to see a shrink for a proper assessment, just as if you found an online test suggested possible Diabetes, you'd see a GP for some basic tests to check this.
Its only sensible to be alert to the possibility of any illness, and no decent doc would consider you hypchondriac for asking about this. A hypochondriac reads the Home Doctor book, and decides he suffers from everything in it, including the Preface and the Index.

1