Question
Posted by: Paula | 2011/03/18

How do I help my child gain weight

My daugter is 7, weights 21 kg and just went off Straterra and onto Concerta. She is ADD (not hyperactive). I tried Pediasure, but it does not taste well so a drink formula is not going to do the job. Please advise whether there are any supplements etc go help her gain weight. She is not a huge breakfast eater (cereals at the most), I pack a health lunch box to school (but she hardly touches it... too busy playing... and she eats good at dinner time (she is fond of veggies including broccoli, believe it or not....
Please guide me.
thanks
Paula

Dear Paula
The average weight for children aged 7 years, is about 22 kg and the average height is 117 cm, so depending on how tall your lassie is, she is not really underweight for her age. I presume you want to use the Pediasure to boost her weight, but before you do this I would strongly urge you to take her to a registered dietitian for an assessment of her growth and her nutrient intake. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. It is essential that children who take medications such as Concerta should have their growth accurately monitored by a dietitian at regular intervals because as you probably know, some children tend to lose their appetite when they take these medications. I would also like the dietitian to check if she is getting sufficient nutrients to help her grow and develop normally. It seems from what you say, that your lassie does eat well at supper time and I agree that she is a model child to like veggies, including broccoli - that is encouraging. As regards the use of liquid meal supplements, you will have to experiment with different formulations (ask your chemist to recommend a product and flavour that is popular with young children), because each individual child will have her own preferences. Also keep in mind that you can use high-energy foods like dried fruit, nuts, and energy bars to boost her energy intake during the day.

3
Posted by: Sinah | 2011/06/28

he is 4year he does nt gain wait what can i give him he is fine hyper clever nothing is wrong im just worried of his wait he dont like food.

Reply to Sinah
Posted by: sam | 2011/03/18

You know I am sitting with the same problem, my son is 7 and his weight is 22 kg''s. He looks like a skeleton, I try to give him lots to
eat especially over a weekend but he is constantly either full or don''t feel like eating.

Most of the time he doesn''t even want sweets or chocolate and the sandwiches for lunch he brings back home.

I would also like to know if there is something you can give your child that makes him gain a bit of weight or something that will give him an appetite.

Reply to sam

Dear Paula