Question
Posted by: Yo yo | 2009-07-06

how do i get my self on track again

Hi Doc,

I am at quiet a loss, i have been on so many diets, tried them all, lost a few kgs, picked them all up again and now dont know what to do. As a start i decided to got to gym, my first session started last week Monday, now i want to focus on a diet. I have a BMI of 34, underactive thyroid and insulin resistant. What do you suggest i do? I have been to the dietician for low gi diet but end up sabotaging myself cause cant help myself but constantly read up on one diet to the next. I know i cannot do this on my own either and tired of spending all the moeny i have spent. Please advise what my next step should be.

Dear Yo-Yo
You are the only person on earth who can take the decision to stick to your low-GI, low-fat diet and adhering to your gym sessions (do at least 4 a week for 60 min at a time). No one else can motivate you. You have seen that this jumping from one diet to the other does not work and may in fact make things worse because you may well be suffering from yo-yo dieting syndrome (as you suspect). Because of your insulin resistance you will need to use a low-fat, low-GI diet for the rest of your life, and also do regular exercise, so now is the time to start. If you lack self-control, then try using self-motivation tapes like Innertalk. Contact Innertalk at www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za for motivational tapes to get you going on the diet and the exercise. Also remember to take your thyroid medication every day as prescribed by your dr.