Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/08/25

How do I ask?

Hi Dr Bets.

A week or so ago I wrote to ask about persistant upper left abdominal pain that radiates to my back. Going on for 6-8 weeks now. Worse after meals. Nausea bt normal stools. Not urine or kidney infection, abdominal ultrasound clear. You advised to consider chronic pancreatis. When I read up about it is describes my symptoms exactly. I did call my dr and she ordered a gastroscopy (which is in 2 weeks time). I looked online what a gastroscopy reveals and the related illnesses, but none fits my symptoms. I asked about blood tests - she said the amlyse markers are not good indicators.

Today I went to the pharmacy and ask the sister to just feel if she feels this hard thing I feel in my left abdomen. I thought it might just be my ribs at the back. She said it was ( your movable rib), but that my gallbladder is swollen. It was tender when she pressed over it.

Will it be ok to just leave it until the gastroscopy and then take it futher if it shows nothing? If you do recommend I see my dr again, wont I sound like a real internet idiot (as all the info out there still does not replace a dr''s knowledge and interpretations)

Hallo BMJ
The gastroscopy is usually done by a gastroenterologist, so when you go for this, ask him to also examine your gall bladder. This is a good article to refer to if you discuss pancreatitis with the GE or your doctor:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/181554-overview
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: ERCP, has been regarded as the standard for diagnosing chronic pancreatitis

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/25

Hallo BMJ