Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-06-24

How did they even becme therapists?

If a therapist takes advantage of their patients like those 2 did. Does it mean that they have problems in their lives/marriages/patsts that they haven''t sorted out? Are they usually intentional? I dont understand how the therapist cant see that it is wrong and how thay got as far as they did if they dont think that kind of thing is wrong? It is quite scary to think there are people out there like that.

The first may have ( we didn't, understandably, hear all the relevant details ) the second didn't, though perhaps unwise. There are degrees of wrong. I know of a shrink who had a long affair with someone who was both a patient and a colleague, and then neglected her when she took an overdose, such that she died when this was highly unlikely to have happened had he responded properly and competently - and he got off scot-free. The having coffee wasn't really in itself wrong, but unwise, and with the potential to have bcome more wrong. Where the patient feels uncomfortable, it is wise to move on to a different therapist. This really was far from being as predatory as it can become in fortunately very rare cases.
Everyone has problems in their life which they don't fully sort out, even shrinks. That's fine so long as they try hard not to allow this to interfere with therapy of other people in need of help. Don't feel scared - the great majority of shrinks are as moral and pleasant as any other social group - maybe even more so than bank managers or car salesmen ?

2
Posted by: Q | 2010-06-24

Jeepers, I seem to have started an anti-shrink campaign! I don''t know what my shrink was thinking and I don''t know what i was either. We had coffee together, no he should not have done that and i sppose i shouldnt have either but i have been thinking about it and maybe it was just a mistake by him. Anyway I have termintaed and want to start fresh now. I am still hopeful that I can find a good therapist ou there.

Reply to Q