Question
Posted by: Enyogrub | 2010-06-08

How could Eltroxin affect my tolerance to alcohol?

Hi there,
I''m a 53 year old white male.
I''m generally fit and healthy.
I cycle and exercise regularly and I''m not overweight.
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidsm in 1998 and I''ve been taking 0.25 mg Eltroxin daily since then.
I have not suffered any of the noted side effects and have blood tests annually to check the necessary levels.
My question:
How could the Eltroxin affect my tolerance to alcohol ?
I don''t drink alcohol excessively but I have noticed that after having 4 drinks in about 3 hours, my brain just switches ''off'' and I wake up the next morning having no recollection (from a certain point) of the previous night.
It is very disquieting, although my family and friends tell me I''ve not embarrassed myself (yet!) and not even ''acted drunk''.
It''s happened enough times over the past years to make me suspect an Eltroxin/alcohol interaction.
I value your opinion.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi E

There are no known interactions between alcohol and Levothyroxine sodium (eltroxin). However, Consuming large amounts of alcohol while taking any medicine or suffering form any chronic disese is never a good idea.

4
Posted by: worried | 2015-08-06

omg so glad to see this there is definitely definitely a link between the two !!!I don't care what is clinically thought unless your on eltroxin ( im 100mg and increasing ) ,and have experienced the feeling of being without any recollection after even a few drinks 2-3 not to mention the shear panic after many drinks and being unable to distinguish between flashback recollection , reality and worrisome thoughts of terrible possibilities that you are distorted into thinking maybe reality due to anxiety and fear. rare social drinker and mum of 2, can you associate anyone

Reply to worried

I have noticed the very same thing and am sure that there's some correlation between eltroxin and alcohol. I am a weekend, social drinker and while I'm told that I am fine it's like a switch goes off and it's horrible. It's very out of character and worrisome. These 'blackouts' began around the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-06-14

Hi E

Reply to pharmacist
Posted by: Admin | 2010-06-10

Thank you for writing to Health24.
As the Pharmacist is away, we have posted your question on cyberDoc''s forum - please follow up there for a reply.

Reply to Admin