Question
Posted by: Mietie | 2012/08/06

How can I help?

I know I can''t stop someone from smoking, but when they do decide to stop, what can I do to help/make it " easier"  and encourage them throughout the process? Thanks!

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

That's a nice question, and I think we should do a Health24 article on the topic. Some tips:
-Ask the quitter from the outset what would be helpful from your side. Would they like you to ask them how it's going? Do they want words of encouragement? Can you be their 'call-a-friend' when they get a craving to smoke? Be supportive, but not patronizing or preachy; everyone has bad habits.
-Consider making a healthy lifestyle change yourself to show them they've inspired you, and to 'put yourself in the same boat'.E.g. "If you stop smoking, I'll limit myself to no more than 5 alcoholic drinks a week/give up chocolate". Try to choose something that's a weakness of yours, but not of theirs!
-Make your home and yourself a smoke-free zone i.e. don't allow the quitter or anyone else to smoke on your property, and don't frequent venues where smoking is allowed. At the same time, make your home and your company appealing.
-Think of fun smoke-free activities, and invite the quitter along.
-Many successful quitters fail several times before they succeed. Remind them of this if/when they 'backslide'. Keeping on trying is part of the quit process.
-When they do succeed and are feeling triumphant, suggest that you celebrate. Every week, month, year smoke-free is a big deal, and building in a celebration to mark it can be very helpful.

2
Posted by: Gerda Scheepers | 2012/09/25

Het probeer met champix maar nie geslaag nie moet ek weer met die eerste pakkie begin

Reply to Gerda Scheepers
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/08/09

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice