Question
Posted by: mimi | 2012/01/20

how can I cope

Hi Doc . I need you help please

The year has just started and I feel like I want to explode , the pressure and stress is just to much,I changed jobs last year Oct and only had 1 week leave for the entire year, I dont know if this is why but I think yesterday I cracked , it feels like I can not deal or cope with anything , at work its so busy I sometimes dont even have time for my lunch, I am busy every single min at work... the drive home is also hectic, yesterday I had such a headache I wanted to cry , whilst I was driving home yesterday I had a panic attack on the free way , it was very scary , all of a sudden I felt as if I am going to loose control over my vehicle , it has neve happened before , I just started to take deep breaths and telling myself to relax, I took painkillers at home for this terrible headache and lied down for a couple of minutes and then had to drive to my son''s school to fetch him , went to the shop to buy things for my other son''s school , doc when I close my eyes I visualise myself as being a piece of meat and crows are picking away , it just feels that everyone want a piece of me all the time and I can''t , its like I have to run on this treadmill 24/7, if its not things at work then its things at shcool , do you have any advise for me on how to cope , I have never felt like this before in my life, today I feel very teary and I just want to be left alone... thank you

Some of us go years without taking leave - that in itself doesn't necessarily cause stress . Maybe you have been developing an anxiety disorder / panic disorder, showing itself in this way ; maybe there's also a degree of Depression. See a relevant exprt, preferably a good local psychiatrist, as soon as is practical, for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Some medications could help significantly, as could counselling of the CBT type, from which you can learn to avoid such episodes of high anxiety, and to control them if they do arise.

1