Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011-11-21

How can I be on this much medication and still feel depressed?

Taking Remeron, Epitec, Wellbutrin and Xanor every day. Currently not coping at all. Had meltdown yesterday. Destructive thoughts in my head. Dark. What is the point of all these pills if I can still feel this bad. Will it be any worse if I stop taking them? Yes I know, speak to p-doc. Don''t think he will have any new plans, we''ve tried it all. I am seeing psychologist twice a month. What I need is a fairy godmother, someone to hold my hand and tell me it will all be ok. My child won''t be scarred for life by having a crazy mother, a few easy steps will clear up the recurring sinus infections, money and motivation will magically appear so I can exercise with the help of a professional and get fitter and thinner etc. etc. Not even a fairy godmother can bring back from the dead the friend I miss so terribly though. The pain of that one I will have to bear.

I''m sorry CS, for throwing a pity party. I don''t think there is much to be said. Thanks for reading anyway.

Medication has the capacity to tweak internal brain chemistry which is believed to be PART of the problem of significant depression. This is why I also believe in CBT or similar psychotherapy, because there are always other aspects to a depression which an individual can learn to handle better, and which are not in themselves touched by meds. At best, meds by reducing the temptation the chemical depression may cause to give up and not try, can enhance the benefits of the psychotherapy.
We know you well, and your resilience and sheer good sense ( and compassion for others, maybe not as much as you also deserve to feel for yourself ) ) makes it clear you can and will get through these rough patches.
I'm hardly a fairy godmother ( or Godfather, for that sake ) but I do believe that about you.
Your child's life will be enhanced by having a Good mother, and maybe appreciating that life has pleasant and unpleasant aspects to it.
Grief is tough - if it isn't, then there wasn't much of a relationship - but it changes and becomes more sustaining and less bitter.
Ask your p-doc what he thinks about the new AD, Agomelatin, which works differently from the others by acting on the melatonin receptors, and seems not to cause weight gain while normalizing diurnal rhythms and sleep early on.

1