Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2012/03/05

How about we lighten UP the mood a bit?

PHENOMENAL 2 LETTER WORD!!

I never knew one word in the English language that can be a noun, verb, adj, adv, prep.
UP
Read until the end ... you''ll laugh.

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is ‘  UP ’ . It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It''s easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election (if there is a tie, it is a toss UP) and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP a room, polishUP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and fix UPthe old car.

At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be openedUPbecause it is blocked UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, lookUP the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can addUP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don''t give UP, you may wind UP with (UP to) a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it soaks UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I''ll wrap it UP, for now . . my time is UP!

Oh . . . one more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?
U

P!

Did that one crack you UP?

Don''t screw UP.. Send this on to everyone you look UPin your address book . . . or not . . . it''s UP to you.

Now I''ll shut UP!

( actually, one of the wonders of English is that there are surprisingly many words that can be used in so many different ways, including at least 2 notorious 4-letter words. )
However, since this top[ic came down, I recall that this morning, I woke down. But it's down to you. One can break up, or break down. You may be locked up in a jail when it's in lock down.
If you find it too tiring to get wound up, you can try winding down.
Now I'll shit up, rather than shut down

1

Now I'll shit up, rather than shut down