Question
Posted by: Elizabeth Sass | 2011/07/27

How 2 get a 7 week old Daschund x Pekinese to eliminate outside

Hi Scotty

My daughter bought me a 7 week old DaschundxPekinese. He is too cute for words but I''''m sitting with a dilemma in training him to pee and eliminate outside. When I take him out he doesn''''t do anything and shivers all the time and the bigger dogs don''''t make it any easier. The minute his back in he does his job and I''''ve placed newspapers all over my carpeted bedroom floor and still nothing and the minute his in an area that''''s tiled he lets go. During the day his alone indoors and at night he sleeps in my bedroom on a pillow instead of the dog cot. Please help!! I need to "  potty"  train him but don''''t know how taking into account his age and playful nature.Thanks in advance for your advice.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Elizabeth, what you need to do is either to start toilet training from scratch or else allocate a place in the house where he can perform his eliminations. It sounds as if he is battling with both the cold and the other dogs, so the inside training may be better till he is older, happier with other dogs and weather warms up. I have put the nates below on inside toilet training and supplied a link on this site to an article on standard toilet training. Good luck and dont forget the importance of puppy socialization. Thks Scotty
, here is an easy way to teach your dog to eliminate on paper.
How To:
1. Set up an area for the pup which is big enough to hold its bed with the food and water bowl close by the bed. Allow for a play area and set aside a corner (furthest away) for elimination purposes. Areas such as bathrooms, laundry rooms are ideal and nowadays we have play pens available. Rather than shut the door, place a baby gate or similar in the opening of the door so that the pup can see out.
2. Cover the entire floor with several layers of newspapers.
3. Keep the pup in this area at night when you cannot supervise it.
4. Over one or two weeks, the majority of pups will naturally choose an area of the area to defacate. Once this occurs, start to remove some of the newspapers – those closest to the bed first, about 5-10%.
5. After about 3-4 days, remove some more papers. Go slowly, leaving about 3-4 days in between the next removal of papers.
6. You will eventually be left with a few newspapers (normally in a corner) and this will become your pups elimination area.
While the pup is out of this area, if you see it starting to sniff and smell, pick it up and take it to the designated area, reinforcing this by saying ‘weewee’ / ‘toilet’ or similar. This will lead to successful training of the pup only using this area. Change the papers daily, but at first, always leave a little of the soiled paper behind – this will encourage your pup to repeat the elimination behaviour in the same place.
What can happen with some pups is that they develop a preferred substrate, such as newspaper or grass, and become unwilling to eliminate on any other substance. To stop this happening, take your pup on different surfaces while out for walks to get it used to different substrates.

Link to toilet training article:-
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/28

How To:

Link to toilet training article:-

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert