Question
Posted by: Sherry | 2011-09-08

House training sausage dog

I''''m having difficulty in house training our 10 week old sausage dog puppy. We have a 3 month old Jack Russel whom was successfully trained in 2 weeks. The 2 of them are great friends and love to play with each other.

Due to security issues, we have decided to leave the dogs inside the house at night. We take both doggies outside before bed but low and behold in the morning there is poo in our bathroom and our daughters bedroom and pee as well. I know this comes from the puppy as the size of the poo is much smaller in the sausage compared to the Jack. And I''ve caught her pee''ing on my daughters carpet before.

Before we even got the sausage the Jack never messed inside until we opened the door for her in the mornings.

On weekends when we are at home, the sausage does not mess inside and will go by herself outside, otherwise she will pee on the newspaper that I lay down for them in the house. But I have caught her on numerous occasions messing and I''ve said no, and put her outside.

How do I train her to "  hold it in"  and not mess in the house anymore?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sherry,nice to hear from you! OK what you need to do is with a mixture of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water (a a product bought at vet), is throughly clean all areas in the house that have been soiled. Normal household products normally contain a degree of amonia or chlorine and that makes the area smell more like a toilet!
Next what I would suggest is either consider crate training (brilliant and not at all cruel, you can find notes on it on my friendsofthedog website) or contain the pup to a bathroom, laundry etc at night time and leave the paper you are currently using there.
It could well be that she is just too young to hold all night. Dogs, like people, mature in this respect at different ages.
Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-09-09

Good luck, thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert