Question
Posted by: Annie | 2011/10/21

House Training

I have a female miniature Daschund around 8 months old.

I found it very hard to house train her as there is no one at home most of the days during the day.
We eventually have gotten a doggy flap which allows her access to the outside 24 hours a day.
She seems to do her business during the day outside no problem.
It seems that night time when everyone is sleeping is the problem.
Every morning she has urinated in the same place as well as pooped in a different place.
I clean with domestos (i am not sure if this is the right thing to use)
we never seem to catch her doing it because we are sleeping.
Please advise if possible what we can do to help her go out.

Annie

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Annie, with regard to cleaning rather try 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water and wash and dap with paper towels several times which will get rid of the urine. After that put down some citronella oil which should stop her doing it in the same place. The majority of household products contain an amount of ammonia which is what is in urine - so the area ends up smelling even more like a toilet!

As the behaviour happens at night when you are sleeping I really believe that crate training would be the best option for you. A dog is a natural den animals and they seldom eliminate where they sleep. There is an article on my friendsofthedog site that will tell you exactly how to go about getting her used to it. Good luck!

3
Posted by: scotty | 2011/10/25

Hi Annie, dont stress about it, really! As you will see in the article this is done slowly and at a pace where the dog can cope. Dogs are naturally den animals and I have never come across a dog that did not learn to love its crate. Off hand I dont know anybody in that area, but do try to both google for them or large pet shops and groomers in the area. If you dont come right, let me know and i will put you in touch with manufacturers in jhb that may be able to point you in right direction. Good luck and do shout if you need any more help, thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Annie | 2011/10/24

Thanks Scotty.
I have read your article and although its seems very scary for me to lock her up, I am willing to give it a try.
Would you perhaps know of any place in the Durban area that iIcould get one of these crates?

Thanks again.

Annie

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert