Question
Posted by: Dana | 2011/09/15

HOUSE TRAINING 2 YR OLD MALTESE

My 2 year old Maltese was never allowed in the house. Now that I got married and took her with me, she is a " house doggy" 

However, as she was never housetrained, she does her business in the house - no matter how often I let her out. My carpet is so full of stains already and i can''t get them out. How can I housetrian her?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Dana, you are going to have to take a few days and start right back at the beginning again as if she was a puppy and show her exactly what you expect her to do - she just has no idea. She will have to be totally supervised while you get the new regime into place and I would give that about 3 days at a minimum.
You also need to make a decision as to whether it would be better to give her an inside toilet to use which may make it easier.
As you start the toitel training, wash every single area of the house which has been soiled with either a mixture of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water several times, or else a product designed especially for this that you can get from the vet. After that, put on pure citronella oil which should make the area less appealing. household cleaners contain ammonia and make the area smell more like a toilet.
If you decide on an inside toilet, place the pads down and follow the directions in the link I am putting in at the end. This is a link to an article on toilet training on the H24 site.
What I find very helpful in a case like yours where the dog has no idea of what is expected of it, is to get friends to give you some faeces of their own dogs. This may sound gross, but if they pick up the offending item and put it in a plastic bag and then inside a plastic, you can easily bring them home with no stink at all. Place one of these daily on the area you want your dog to start eliminating in. A dog normally will 'mark' that area as its own where the faeces is and this makes it much easier to achieve the toilet training. You can even freeze the faeces, but it needs to be defrosted completely otherwise the odour is not there. the link to the article is below and good luck!
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/16

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert