Question
Posted by: Kg | 2010/03/26

House leasing

This is the second month since we have moved to the house that we have signed a lease for a year. The owners told us that the reason for renting out the house was to be closer to work. Last week a summons was delivered for non-payent of the bond. I am worried that we will soon find ourselves on the street. I would like to know how long is the process before the actual respoossesion of the house and what are my rights since I believe that the lease is a legal document.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

By law, despite the sale and even the transfer of the property to a new owner, the tenant of the property which has been sold is entitled to continue occupying the property until his/her lease expires. The legal principle at work here is called 'huur gaat voor koop', which effectively means that a lease agreement takes precedence over a sale.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/03/26

Reply to family law expert