Question
Posted by: Annie | 2011/07/21

Hound Hell!!

We have 3 bassett hounds (1 boy, 2 girls) and a sausage dog (boy). We adopted all 4 of them from the SPCA last year August. They seemed to adapt very well to their new home, but now almost a year later they have become very aggressive, especially towards the sausage. They bite him all the time that he always has oozing wounds, they will not alow him in the kennel with them and the two bitches fight with each other constantly, they never used to do this up until about 3 months ago. They have also become very naughty and do not listen to any instruction. The male dog will also not alow the sausage to eat. I have to feed him seperatly or first for him to get any food and this was not the case before. What is going on with them?? I am seriously thinking about sending them back to the SPCA and i dont really want to do that but it is now out of conrol.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Annie, I am so sorry but this is not the type of question that can be covered in a forum. You need to get hold of a professional to help you sort this out due to the aggression. Additionally you need to be taught House Rules so that the dogs see you as the leader in the combined human/canine pack. Their current behaviour of ignoring etc shows that they are not viewing you as such. this is not difficult to achieve with the help of a professional. Have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for somebody in your area. If you do not find anybody, please contact me via my e-mail and i will try to put you in touch with somebody. I am at WODAC from this morning till Sunday evening so wont be able to help till then. this sort of situation can become serious very quickly, so do get the help you need as soon as possible. thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/22

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert