Posted by: Pippa | 2010-03-20

Hot flushes / HRT / Natural?

Hi doc! Thank you very much for all your friendly and quick answers, well appreciated!

Im 54 and get hot flushes and night sweats, Im so tired of it! At the moment Im on box 6, using Dr. Vogels, night sweat and flushes pills. My gyne suggested that I take HRT for say 5-7 years, but Im so scared as my mother died of breast and ovarian cancer and the use of patches, HRT etc. etc. Please advise, is there anything else I can do please, I also tried soy products etc. Also doesnt MRT make you fat? Thanks a million!

Unfortunately, there are no so called natural tablets that will alleviate the symptoms of menopause. Therefore, I also suggest that you take HRT to alleviate your symptoms and to prevent a serious complication of the menopause, namely osteoperosis. HRT also protects the heart against ischemic insidence. Breast cancer can be detected by early detection through self examination. HRT does not increase the insidence of ovarian cancer. If you consider all the pros and cons, HRT is not a poor decision to take.

HRT medication can increase your appetite but a correct diet and exercise will prevent weight gain.