Question

Hot baths - Pregnancy

Good day doc.
I would like to know why is that you''re not supposed to take hot baths while pregnant? The reason I''m asking, is bacause I''m 8 weeks pregnant, and most of my pregnancy will be during winter. I have fybromyalgia, which basically means my whole body aches inside, like when you have flu. I used to take Trepiline and Coxflam, and it worked like a charm. However, I can''t take it anymore because I''m pregnant. My problem is, that the only thing that takes the pain away, is when I take a hot bath, and put on warm pj''s or tracksuit or whatever. And the cold weather makes the pain worse. So what to do? Is it really THAT dangerous to take a hot bath?

Hot baths can raise the temperature of the fetus and cause srillbirths. Warm tracksuits and luke warm baths are fine. Trepline can also be used in pregnancy.

3

Thnx Purlple, I understand. Maybe I should get those barley things, and then put on a track suit or whatever, and stuff a bunch of them inside. I''ll walk around looking like the pillsbury doughboy...LOL.
But seriously though, everything aches, so it''s difficult you know. The problem is, I used to have baths in water that turns my skin into a tamatoe. Guess I''ll have to be more carefull. Maybe I should just bath earlier, like straight away when I get home from work, before the air cools down too much.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Posted by: Purple | 2011/04/07

It is dangerous for the baby if your body temperature is raised, so that is the reason one shouldn''t have hot baths, use saunas (also dehydration), use electric blankets or use hot water bottles near your tummy.

What you could do is get one of those barley hot " water"  bottles from clicks that you heat in the microwave, and aply that to your achy bits (not anywhere near your tummy) to give you some relief - along with the warm jammies and thick socks.

You can still have a fairly warm bath or shower, just not so hot that it turns your skin red.

Reply to Purple