Posted by: curious | 2009-05-29

Hospitalisation refusal

What are the grounds for refusing admission to a psych hospital? IOW what reasons do medical aids give for NOT paying for psych services?

I don't quite understand the question -- WHO would be refusing ?
Unless special procedures are followed in the case of a patient who is considered a danger to himself or others, admission to any hospital is viluntary as regards the patient. Hospial would I suppose have the right to refuse to admit somone, just as a hotel would, but I can't remember coming across a time when this happened. I doctor has a right to accept or to refuse to treat a specific patient.
Now, I suspect you are asking about a problem of Medical Aids refusing to approve in advance, payment for an admission to a psych ward recommended by a doctor. This happens, and many if not most medical aids, in my experience, discriminate shamelessly against people with mental rather than physical problems, though I think this should be considered unconstitutional. The reasons they might give would be that their advisor ( and some of them are folks I wouldn't ask to advise on my budgie ) does not agree than an admission is necessary, or feels that other, cheaper treatment would be as suitable.
I think this is a dodgy decision for a remote advisor to make, and would only agree if the refusal was for an unrecognized diagnosis or treatment ( such as the dangerous and ineffective Sleep Therapy some doctors still insist on recommending. )

Posted by: ICBM | 2009-05-31

Big difference between private psych hosptials and government ones...... obviously the private ones are expensive and medical aid comes into the picture, government ones are much cheaper....scrambled egg and coffee also better than some hotels.

Go government, you' ll never look back !

Reply to ICBM